The best way to know what we publish is to buy a copy and read it!
We publish original poems (no more than 100 lines), short stories (no sexual references, graphic violence or explicit language, please – we have younger readers), and creative non-fiction (no interviews or journalism), both up to 2,000 words. We also use illustrations, drawings, paintings and photographs in black and white.
All work must be original.
All work must bear some relationship to the natural world. But we don't just want descriptions or factual journalism: we want poetic language, beautiful imagery; writing that makes the heart soar.
Please do not submit work with sexual references, graphic violence or swearing, since The Curlew is a family publication. Any such work, if not amended with your permission, will be rejected.
We do not want work describing hunting, culling or violence, even in nature. The Curlew is about celebrating the natural world and our relationship with it. Graphic descriptions of animals being trashed by vehicles or shredded by 'murderous' owls or foxes are not nature writing. Please be more original and thoughtful.
We don't care whether or not you have paper qualifications; we don't care if you've never been published before. It's all about the work. We just want high-quality material that sings.
Please DO NOT add extra spaces into your text. Please consider the time it takes to hand-format each printed page of The Curlew (you can't just copy and paste). Any strange formatting is unnecessary, annoying and time-consuming, and may result in your work being rejected. The Curlew has its own elegant design, which you can see in any copy, so any formatting you do yourself will be changed anyway.
Guidelines summarized in plain English below:
• STUDY A COPY FIRST. Hopefully, style and requirements will then be obvious. (If not, read on...).
• The Curlew is a nature writing journal, not a consumer magazine. We publish inspirational ideas expressed in poetic language – not journalism.
• No sexual references.
• No swear words.
• No graphic descriptions of violence or animal torture (this is not Game of Thrones). Yes, we know it happens in nature, but not in The Curlew...
• Please don't demand special treatment (extra space, extra-long titles, different design, free copies, etc). The Curlew has its own simple, elegant design, allowing the content to shine through. In common with other professional publications, you cannot "proof" the issue containing your work before publication. You can see what your work will look like by reading another issue.
• Use short titles.
• Send a BRIEF biography (100-150 words). And please make it relevant to writing and your inspiration from nature. We don't need to know what dessert you liked as a child or how many children you have.
Now stop reading and start writing!